Fifth District: Cherokee, Chester, Chesterfield, Darlington, Dillon, Fairfield, Kershaw, Lancaster, Lee, Marlboro, Newberry, Sumter & York.
Born August 15, 1948, in Athens, Georgia.
Married Anne West Carruth on December 16, 1978.
Children: Herbert Clay, III; George West; Carl West
Served in the United States Army from February 28, 1969 until February 22, 1971, when he was honorably discharged. He received a B.A. in Philosophy from the University of South Carolina (USC) in 1973. He was a Ph.D. candidate at USC in Comparative Literature from 1973-1976; he resigned to attend the University of Tennessee School of Law from 1977-1979. He received his J.D. from the USC School of Law in 1980.
- Office of the South Carolina Attorney General, staff attorney, 1982-1984;
- Office of the South Carolina Attorney General, assistant Attorney General (child support division), 1984-1985;
- Public Service Commission of South Carolina, staff counsel, 1985-1990; and
- South Carolina Senate Medical Affairs Committee, director of research and attorney, since 1990. He is a member of the South Carolina Bar Association.
Served on the following civic, charitable, etc. organizations:
- Southern Legislative Conference Energy and Environment Committee;
- Buckley School of Public Speaking Forensic Society;
- Federalist Society;
- Wilson Hall Athletic Association;
- Camden Country Club; and
- Springdale Hall Club.
- Elected to Public Service Commission of South Carolina July 1, 1998
- Member, National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners (NARUC).
- Member, Southeastern Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners (SEARUC).
Term ended March 2004.